Mining Industry Advisory Board sets priorities for advancing mineral development at first meeting
YELLOWKNIFE (June 5, 2015) – The new Northwest Territories Mining Industry Advisory Board (MIAB) held its inaugural meeting in Yellowknife on June 3, 2015.
Board members agreed that the health of the mineral industry in the NWT is at a critical point. During the current downturn in commodity prices, the NWT must position itself to maximize opportunities presented by a return to higher commodity prices.
“With devolution under our belts, self-determination is in our hands,” Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment David Ramsay said. “We need to ensure employment and business opportunities for our communities are realized from our resource-based economy while continuing to achieve high environmental and social standards. The MIAB will help us to do that.”
During the meeting, members discussed the critical importance of:
- An effective and efficient regulatory system;
- The need for infrastructure development that would foster development;
- Creating more public awareness and education of the importance of mineral development to the NWT economy; and
- Promotion of the NWT’s mineral potential to investors.
The MIAB recommended that the Minister focus on the following key strategic priorities:
- The creation of a leading edge Mineral Resources Act, noting that the NWT is the only jurisdiction in Canada without such an Act;
- The creation and implementation of a public awareness campaign to build public support for mineral exploration and development to grow the economy and create more wealth and prosperity for NWT residents; and
- Investment and promotion of the NWT as a destination for investment by the private sector.
“We share the GNWT’s vision of building a more vibrant mineral resource industry in the NWT,” said Brendan Bell. “Based on this first meeting, we have identified key issues that require immediate action, and we will begin work on those priorities immediately.”
Minister Ramsay announced plans to establish the MIAB earlier this year. The volunteer board will provide non-binding independent strategic advice on the mining and exploration resource sector in the NWT.
MIAB members are:
- Mr. Brendan Bell of Dominion Diamonds Corporation of Yellowknife, NWT (Chair)
- Mr. Darrel Beaulieu of DEMCo Limited Partnership of Yellowknife, NWT
- Mr. Rod Brown of Discovery Mining Services of Yellowknife, NWT
- Ms. Leni Keough of Olivut Resources of Hinton, Alberta
- Mr. Don Bubar of Avalon Rare Metals of Toronto, Ontario
- Mr. John Kearney of Canadian Zinc of Toronto, Ontario
The establishment of the MIAB fulfills a recommendation of the Mineral Development Strategy, a key priority of the 17th Legislative Assembly, and supports the Assembly’s goals of strengthening the economy and creating opportunities in all regions.
Government of the Northwest Territories